Sunday 14 January 2018

Chapter 3: You Sciency Types


Guy rushes off to his carpool, cursing under his breath. He overslept! 




After he rushes off to work, the rest of the household is either sleepily starting their day or ready to go to bed. Tina, Tammi, and Ti are the former. 

"Do you want to work out together?" Ti asks Tammi, "My pipe-cleaner arms are useless. If we ever get to leave, I need to be strong!" she strikes a strong-man pose, flexing her small muscles. 



Tammi giggles, "Alright. I might know a thing or two about fitness... don't have this outfit for nothing!" 




"This is a case of the blind leading the blind," Tina says from the piano, "The only muscle Ti has are those beachballs she calls breasts. But I guess that's better than having nothing like Ms. Legwarmers over there. What are you, an 80s workout video?" 

Ti and Tammi walk out of the room to find the pullup bar, completely oblivious to Tina's jabs at their chests. 

Thank plumbob, they're finally gone. Now she can play in peace. 



Well, not for long. Only an hour later Tammi wanders back in with Dove. Distracted by the music, neither of them can remember what they initially came in here for. 



Aw, Dove, it's ok... 



Soon the room fills up as other residents wake up and Guy comes home from work. Lincoln gives him tips on his research at the science machine. 

"Once you get really good at this, you can even make clones! Or, well, try...turns out it's not very 'ethical'." 

"You tried to clone a person, didn't you?" Ti hisses, "That's against the rules!" 

Lincoln glowers, "I did it for Heather..." 

"Who's that?" Guy asks. 

Lincoln zones out, lost in thought. 



Oh, Heather... 



Why did it have to end up this way? 

He just wanted to see her again. To give her another chance. To let her parents be with their daughter again.

Was that so wrong? 




In the kitchen, Ti finally makes some macaroni without burning it. 



Too bad something else is on her mind. 

"Adequate! Just adequate. You used to do better than this, before the accident! W-what changed..." 



"Oooh, macaroni," Lincoln says, seemingly coming out of nowhere. He doesn't seem to notice Ti's muttering. 

"If I try hard enough, maybe I can remember how to do it like before..." 




Lincoln tries to will the macaroni to him with his thoughts. 

He's a bit disappointed when it doesn't work. 



"Oh, you look spiffy today! Going somewhere?" Tammi asks a nicely dressed but reeking Jinenji. 

"No...not unless the pull-up bar counts..." 



Dove seems to be trying to aid Lincoln's telekinesis. 



Wow, that smile looks...sincere. 



Guy finally gets around to fixing the computer like Tammi wanted. It's hardly sparking or smoking as she claimed, but is definitely not turning on. He finds that its backlight is broken, causing the screen to stay dark even when the power button is pressed and the computer is plugged in. 

He does his best and eventually the computer turns on as it should. Tired from a day of research, work, and repair, Guy turns in early while there's bed space. 



Gregory protects the computer from any interlopers. 

He fails to notice the trap planted on the old machine, ready to jam the fan at the touch of the power button. 



Guy's sleep is short and fitful and he wakes up starving. There's several (actually decent!) dishes in the fridge, and he groggily reaches for the waffles. 



Jinenji regales Guy of tales of his and Dove's adventure in the backyard, chasing down fireflies. 

"When we finally caught them, we had to let them go. Their legs and the way they glow...it's gross," Jinenji shudders. Dove murmurs in agreement. 

Guy tilts his head. Fireflies? Here? He's never seen any before... 

"Then why go after them?" 

Jinenji's face brightens up, "They're not indigenous to this area! I wanted to catch one and study it with you and Lincoln at the science machine... but... other than the creepy legs..." 

"-he felt bad that any experiments could kill them. So he let them go," Dove finishes for him. "Personally, I think it's better that we let them go. It sends a message to the others." 

"The others...?" Guy questions. 

Dove looks around, "The other bugs. Could never stand them. They'd come into my room, bite me, infect me with things. Doctors said there was nothing wrong with me, that I never had any bug bites, but they're clever, those bugs. There's a lot we don't know about them." 

Jinenji nods, "That's why I wanted to study them. But some things are probably left best undisturbed." 

Guy thinks about Tula, before the...incident. How she could never leave things alone. How she was always analysing things, always asking him strange questions. Or were they really that strange? He furrows his brow.

"Yeah, you're right," Guy agrees, "Some things are just too confusing to think about." 



His head hurting a bit from a lack of sleep and strange thoughts, Guy goes back to bed. Jinenji and Dove go to the bathroom to wash up. 

"Ugh, shower's broken again. I knew we shouldn't have trusted seizure-face to fix it," Tina mutters to herself. 

"Faces don't cause seizures," Jinenji says from behind her, "Unless you mean a seizure of the face... I think that's just called a grimace." 

"Shut up, you sound like an encyclopedia," Tina snaps. 



Jinenji only blinks as Tina shoves him roughly to the side so she can brush her teeth. 

Is there something wrong with encyclopedias? 




After Tina leaves, the sink suddenly bursts into a spray of water. Dove and Tammi come in at the same time, Dove to use the toilet and Tammi to use the shower. 

"Jinenji, what the hell!? I leave you alone for two seconds and you break the sink!" Tammi sighs with exasperation. 



"It wasn't me..." 

"Well, are you suggesting it was me? All I did was walk in here!" 

"Must have been the bugs," Dove murmurs. 



"What happened to the sink!?" Gregory exclaims as he walks into the room. 

"Probably seizure-face's fault," Tina answers from behind him. 

"But wasn't it you?" Jinenji asks Tina, "You were just brushing your teeth here..." 

Tina's face screws up with effort as she tries to remember. Was it really her? 

"I haven't been in here all night," she says, "I'm telling you, Guy was the last person to touch it!" It must have been, right? If she can't remember being in here, then someone else must have broken the sink, surely. 




Sigh. 

The joy of having 7 uncontrollable sims and broken plumbing. 



Then Lincoln comes in and gets slapped across the face by Tammi. 

"Did one of your weird experiments do this?" Tammi demands, "I can't live in such squalor! One of you sciency types better fix this!" 




Lincoln looks at Tammi, terror etched into every line of his face. No one's ever hit him before. He runs out of the bathroom and everyone stares at Tammi. 

"What?" she says defensively, "He's trying to make our lives miserable! You saw what he did to the sink, the toilet, and the shower!" At everyone's silence, Tammi begins to feel panic, "I-I didn't do anything wrong!" she flees the room. 



Guy, on the other hand, is celebrating. A promotion! Say hello to Monte Vista's newest lab assistant! The increase in pay means Guy can now easily cover the bills at home. 

...the bills. Oh CRAP. The bills! When was the last time he paid those!? 



When he gets home he's relieved to find that the bills still have several days left before they're due. Before he can pay them, Gregory drags him inside. 

"Fix the sink before it kills someone," he instructs. He doesn't give any more detail, leaving Guy to repair the broken plumbing, as confused as ever. 



Dove and Lincoln are finishing up a meal together in the kitchen. 

"I didn't really break the sink and everything, did I?" Lincoln asks Dove, unable to think about anything but the stinging in his cheek. 

"I don't think so," Dove answers honestly, "Not unless you can control stuff with your mind or something." 




Lincoln sits, his dirty bowl in hand, for a long time, deep in thought. He can't control things with his mind. 

If he could, Heather would still be here. 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN: "This is a just for fun blog," I said as I searched for the screenshots I took during Lincoln's generation, "Not story driven at all," I told myself as I contemplated characterization while typing up this entry, "I'm doing this just for the challenge." 

Heather is actually a made-over (and different personality) Feather Libros from Becky's "Archers of Barnacle Bay" Random legacy. You can tell I have a soft spot for her characters! 

So I took tons of screenshots in what is now Lincoln's save. I actually made a story line for all the generations I've played in it (4 so far) and have all the pictures. I just...couldn't find the motivation to write it all out. I have something like 3,900 pictures from that save. Having him and Tammi in this challenge is making me reconsider my decision to not blog about his family. I'm starting to miss playing the Silverlys. 

Weird. 

For all of that seriousness, I feel like you all deserve this funny outtake: 



Dove definitely has a reason to hate the outdoors. 


6 comments:

  1. Fix the sink before it kills someone LOL
    This house is a mess, should I feel bad that I'm enjoying all of the arguing it's pretty funny. Usually I try to have my Sims be nice and makeup but you can't do it with a challenge like this and it seems like a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The residents at the best of times intermittently argue... with broken plumbing that gets turned up to 11 with the routing failures and full bladders!

      It's a fun challenge to find reasons for their arguments since they happen so randomly.

      Delete
  2. I love that overhead shot of everyone in the bathroom standing in the puddles.

    I think it's pretty interesting that we don't know Lincoln's full story yet. If it comes out or not, the little hints of it are very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I! It really captures the feel of a sims 3 asylum...

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Wow, Tina is MEAN! XD With the way his thoughts are going, I wonder if Guy is going to figure out what Tula did. Might be better if he doesn't, actually D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is awful!!! It'll break his heart, that's for sure. But at least he would know it wasn't his fault

      Delete